The Cayman Islands Winter Break Program allows participants to study at the Cayman Islands Law School located in George Town, the capital city of the Cayman Islands. The Cayman Islands are a well known off-shore financial center and tax haven. The Cayman Islands Winter Break Program is sponsored by Stetson University College of Law and the American Caribbean Law Initiative.
Click the above images for a larger slideshow
Students in good academic standing who have completed at least one year of law study may participate in the Cayman Islands Winter Break Program.
The program is open to law students, lawyers, and business professionals interested in studying in the Cayman Islands. Law students and lawyers should have an active interest in international, Caribbean or business law to make the most of this academic experience. Enrollment will be limited to forty students. In 2012-2013, 41 students attended the program. 16 of these students were from Stetson University College of Law, the sponsor of the program, and 25 students were from other ABA-approved law schools.
Foreign Law Students are Also Welcome to Participate
Law students from foreign law schools are also eligible and invited to enroll in the program. We anticipate that around 5 foreign law students may participate in the program. It is anticipated that these students will be from Caribbean law schools in the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, and Jamaica.
All students participating in the summer abroad program must read the Worldwide Caution and the Consular Information Sheet from the U.S. Department of State. Also see Resources, CDC - Travelers' Health, and CDC - H1N1 FLU Information.
A $40 nonrefundable application fee is required, payable by Mastercard or Visa.
NON-STETSON law student applicants should submit:
1. Online application form, $200 tuition deposit and $100 housing deposit; and
2. Remit payment for the balance of the cost of the program to Stetson by November 1. If you will be applying for financial aid, please contact your home school financial aid office to request a Consortium Agreement (which is sent to Stetson to be completed and returned to your home school). Please fax the Consortium Agreement to Stetson at: 727-231-0723.
3. Submit a certified copy of your law school transcript to the International Programs Office (c/o Stetson University College of Law, 1401 61st Street South, Gulfport, FL 33707), and
4. Submit a letter of good standing from your Law School Dean to the International Programs Office (c/o Stetson University College of Law, 1401 61st Street South, Gulfport, FL 33707) that also authorizes your attendance at the Stetson program.
STETSON students should submit:
1. Online application form, $200 tuition deposit, and $100 housing deposit; and
2. Remit payment for the balance of the cost of the program to Stetson by November 1.
Enrollment will be limited to 40, and applicants will be considered in the order of receipt of application and fee. The application form, application fee of $40, tuition deposit of $200, and housing deposit of $100 (for a total payment of $340) must be received by Stetson no later than November 1, to receive priority consideration. These fees will be applied to the tuition and housing if the applicant is accepted and will be refunded if the applicant is denied. While you are free to find your own housing, you must let us know by November 1, if you intend to do so. If you procure your own housing, your $100 deposit will be applied to your outstanding tuition. If you do not notify the International Programs Office by November 1, that you will be procuring your own housing then you are liable for payment of the total housing costs per student for the entire program. There are no exceptions to this policy.